Thursday, June 7, 2012

Moving out/moving on?

I decided I could not live with my husband while his behavior was so erratic.  Most important, I could not live with him while he continued to blame me.  I arranged to stay with someone for a few months.  I told a few people, but not many, as I did not want Husband to find out until I actually left.  I planned to move out on the first of the month, which was a Thursday.  I thought Husband had therapy on Friday.  When I found out that his appointment was actually on Thursday, I changed my plans to tell him on Wednesday, so he would at least have the support of Zamboni the next day.  I was going to a furnished room, so I didn't need to take a lot of things.  I came home from work and packed up while Husband was working on a project.  I planned to stay at the house that night and leave with everything in the morning, but I knew I might have to change plans. 

When he came into dinner, I told him I was leaving the next day.  He was angry, obviously.  He told me it would be "a long couple of months." He was mad that out sex life would be impacted.  He was trying to convince me that I had made a wrong decision, but everything he said reinforced my decision.  He thought about it for a while and told me it would be best if I left that night.  I agreed. I couldn't go to the place I would be moving to, but I called a friend who knew my plans and asked to stay with her and her husband for the night.  They were out at a bar, so I joined them there and had a drink. Then, we went to their place and had champagne, which seemed totally appropriate to me.  I hung out with their dogs and crashed in their spare room.  The next day, I started my new, independent, separated life!  \

The only thing I would have done differently in this scenario is that I would have stuck to my original plans, and would not have been concerned about his support.  In the two months since discovery, I had tried to talk to him about telling some of his friends and family at least the broad outlines of his addiction.  He refused.  That was his decision, and I should have let him experience the full consequences of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment